Effectively “seal” out tooth decay and prevent cavities from forming in the first place with dental sealants. Beneficial for children and adults alike,are thin, plastic coatings that are brushed onto the chewing surface of the back molars to shield against incoming food particles and plaque.
How Do Dental Sealants Work?
You can think of a sealant as a shield for your back teeth. Once applied, the sealant material bonds into the various pits and depressions located on the molars. It is these very same grooves that, if not treated with sealants, can invite food particles and plaque inside. Cavities can form as a result.
Aside from preventing cavities, sealants can also benefit you in other ways. For instance, they are less expensive than fillings and can do their job for up to 10 years if properly maintained. Ask our Washington, MI, dentist about having sealants applied to your teeth and we can arrange for that to take place.
What to Expect for the Procedure
When it comes to the application of dental sealants, there are five major steps. The procedure itself is very simple and entirely pain-free which makes it ideal for children and adults alike.
To apply sealants, our dentist will follow these steps:
- Thoroughly clean teeth set to receive sealants.
- Dry each tooth and place an absorbent material around the tooth to keep it from becoming moistened.
- Put an acid solution on the tooth’s chewing surface to roughen it up and provide a solid bond between the sealant and tooth.
- Rinse and dry tooth/teeth.
- Brush sealant onto the tooth enamel so it can bond directly to the tooth and harden. A special light may be used in this step to speed up the hardening process.
Fight Cavities More Efficiently
Are your teeth prone to cavities even with proper oral hygiene at home? Our , can apply sealants to your back molars in a fast and painless procedure. If you’re interested in sealants for yourself or your children, please call Romeo Family Dentistry at (586) 752-3589 to request an appointment today.